27.5.09

Me, Me, Me, Mine, Mine, Mine...

Captain Hook: You, the cute little urchin in the front row, won't you share your thoughts with the whole class?
Maggie
: Yes, I said mommy reads to us every night, because she loves us very much.
Captain Hook
: Loves you? Isn't that the, uh, the...
Smee
: The L word, Captain.
Captain Hook
: Ooh, yes. No, child, your mother wants to read to you every night in order to stupefy to sleep, so that she and daddy could sit down for three measly minutes without you. And your mindless, inexhaustible, unstoppable, repetitive, and nagging demands: He took my toy! She hit my bear! I want a party! I want a cookie! I want to stay up! I want, I want, I want, me, me, me, me, mine, mine, mine, mine, now, now, now!

image

So maybe the whole story doesn't relate, but the "I want, I want, I want, me, me, me, mine, mine, mine, now, now, now" seem to be uttered quite a bit lately, and I think Mr. Gloss may have some opinions about the "inexhaustible, unstoppable, repetitive and nagging demands". :)

I thought about recent conversations I’ve had with my parents and Mr. Gloss about the wedding and everything is “We don’t need….but I want”!!

What happened to me? I used to be so logical and calculated with my money and purchases–

We don’t need a ring pillow since we don’t have a ring bearer, but I want one of these so we can hang it on our Christmas tree.

We don’t need rehearsal dinner invitations since we are only inviting the wedding party +1, but I want to make them!

We don’t need monogrammed hand towels in the bathroom since people are just going to wipe their hands on them, but I want to have them.

We don’t need super thick invitations that will cost more to mail because they are ‘not machinable’, but I want them!

We don’t need to spend hours online trying to find rope for the guys bouts, but I want the perfect color.

We [I] don’t need to buy another dress for the rehearsal dinner, but I want a new one.

We don’t need to have 3 wedding cakes, but I want it to look like this –

We [I] don’t need more diamonds on my wedding band, but I want more so there isn’t 13 –

We don’t need china at this point in our lives, but I want to have it for the future.

We don’t need a Kate Spade serving set, but I want to be able to cut our cake with it.

And the list goes on….

When did I get so selfish? This is not ‘my’ day, it’s our day. I don’t even want it to be all about me, in fact, I hate being the center of attention.

Please tell me I’m not the only one who has used the wedding as an excuse to buy things :)

Is there anything you ‘don’t need’ but must have for your big day?

1 comment:

Caroline said...

This is a very good point. You can save a lot of money here.